• eamonn09


Updated: May 13

Claims went live on May 13th, but T+G wanted to forewarn all self employed clients that: -

· You will NOT be able to claim for the Self-Employed Income Support Scheme, unless each individual has your own Government Gateway ID.

· Historically G.G.I.D. have taken up to 7 days to be issued.

· Unfortunately, H.M.R.C. have confirmed that accountants like T +G will not be allowed to make the claims for our clients.

Although we haven't been allowed to make your claim we want to make sure we can help you prepare.

Here is a handy checklist for the online process:

What you need to do now


Each individual member of a partnership and every sole trader needs to act now to ensure they have a separate and active G.G.I.D. for the Self- Employed Income Support Scheme

You can already check if H.M.R.C. think you are eligible and get your date and time to claim online, while you wait for you official invitation to make a claim, which will arrive by letter.

Check now with the H.M.R.C. online checking tool if H.M.R.C. think you are eligible or to make your claim

Webchat - Speak to an adviser online about the scheme.

Phone 0800 024 1222

Opening times: Monday to Friday: 8am to 4pm

Closed on bank holidays.

Find out about call charges

1. You will need to enter your U.T.R., the 10-digit Unique Tax Reference found on the left-hand side of your tax return and the National Insurance number found underneath that

2. If H.M.R.C. say you are eligible; you will be given a date and time to go online and make a claim.

The date and time provided to you is purely to stagger the weight of applications and ensure the system is not swamped, with the initial flurry of applications at launch.

You will be able to make your claim at a later date and time.

3. If you do not have an individual G.G.I.D. you need to set one up there and then.,so that reminders can be sent to you.

You may also be asked to provide I.D. like your passport, which is the easiest option, or your driving licence details from the plastic card version, to confirm your identity, even if you already have a G.G.I.D.

4. If H.M.R.C. do not think you are eligible to claim, you will be able to ask for a review from May 14th


Checklist- you will need: -

· your UTR

· your National Insurance Number

· Government Gateway ID

· Bank Account details (which must be capable of accepting a B.A.C.S. payment)

You will then need to confirm you have been affected by coronavirus and are within state aid limits

You will be told straightaway if your claim has been approved

There is no option to claim an increased or reduced amount of grant. Instead the taxpayer should claim the amount of the grant as calculated by HMRC and request a review, via the link provided, if they think that the amount should be higher or lower.

After you’ve claimed

HMRC will check your claim and pay your grant into your bank account in the next 6 working days. They will send an email when your payment is on its way.

You can check the status of your payment.

If you think the grant amount is wrong

HMRC have used the information you or your tax agent or adviser sent them on your Self Assessment tax returns to work out your grant amount.

If you think the grant amount is wrong, you should check how much you’ll get or contact your tax agent or adviser for help.

If you still think the grant amount is wrong, you can ask HMRC to review your grant amount.

You’ll need:

  • your grant claim reference

  • your National Insurance number

  • the Unique Taxpayer Reference you used on your claim

  • the Government Gateway user ID you used to make a claim

  • details about why you think the grant amount is wrong

You may also need the figures HMRC gave you in the grant calculation when you made your claim.

Record keeping and reporting

You must keep a copy of all records in line with normal self-employment record keeping requirements, including:

  • the amount claimed

  • the claim reference number

You should also keep any evidence that your business has been adversely affected by coronavirus such as:

  • business accounts showing a reduction in turnover

  • confirmation of any coronavirus-related business loans you have received

  • dates your business had to close due to lockdown restrictions

  • dates you or your staff were unable to work due to coronavirus symptoms, shielding or caring responsibilities due to school closures

You will need to report the grant:

The grant should be treated as income received on the day it’s paid for any Universal Credit claims or tax credit changes.

Contacting HMRC

You should first check the other support available to you.

We are receiving very high numbers of calls. Contacting HMRC unnecessarily puts our essential public services at risk during these challenging times.

But you can contact HMRC if you cannot get the help you need online.

If you receive texts, calls or emails claiming to be from HMRC, offering financial help or a tax refund and asking you to click on a link or to give personal information, it is a scam. You should email it to and then delete it.


01995 600600

Abacus House, Rope Walk, Garstang, Preston, PR3 1NS, UK

©2019 by Towers + Gornall Ltd. Proudly created with